Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hot and Sultry

Just arrived at the Cam Sultan Hotel after a pretty long day of travelling. When I stepped out of the plane into the hot humidity at around 11.30pm, I knew I was in Asia. It was almost the same feeling as landing at Delhi. This hostel is only a few hundred metres from the Blue Mosque, perfectly central and pleasant people running it.

I had been worrying about the metro and public transport stopping at such a late hour but after finding the airport metro station full of people, my fears rapidly evaporated. The token system was a bit difficult to sort out but eventually armed with 2 of these plastic disks I was on my way to the old city of Istanbul. I needed to use a train and a tram to arrive here, passing just about all the sights along the way. Couldn't miss them because of the superb illumination in the hot night air. Cant wait to get out tomorrow and see something of the city.

So, first impressions are that I'm going to enjoy this place which really has a distinct similarity and atmosphere to some of the Indian cities I have washed up in over the years.

That's it for now. Sorry no pictures yet - knackered and going to bed in the basement of the hotel where its pleasantly cool. D

No comments:

Post a Comment